Principal and Coordinator for the Centre for Human Flourishing
James Woodward became Principal of Sarum College on 1st October 2015.
He is responsible for the strategic leadership of the College, the development of the College team and ensuring collaboration, innovation, sustainability and excellence in all streams of Sarum’s community of learning.
He comes to this role after seven years as Canon Steward of St George’s Chapel Windsor Castle where he was involved in clergy development work at St Georges House alongside responsibilities for fabric and fundraising. As a Practical Theologian James has focussed particularly on areas of health and healing, old age, the practice of theological reflection, and end of life care.
In thirty years of ministerial experience James has worked in a range of contexts, including health care chaplaincy and rural ministry, where he has consistently delivered sustainable growth and development in thinking and practice. As a theological educator James has taught in the Universities of Birmingham, Warwick, Cardiff, and in writing and delivering distance learning materials for part-time students through The Open University.
James writes an occasional blog on his website.
- Embracing the Chaos: Theological Reflections on AIDS, 1990, SPCK – Four Editions
- Encountering Illness: Voices in Pastoral and Theological Perspective, 1995, SCM
- Finding God in Illness, 1997, Lion
- The Blackwell Reader in Pastoral and Practical Theology, 1999, Blackwell
- Befriending Death, 2005, SPCK
- Services for Weekdays: Readings, Reflections and Prayers, 2006, SPCK
- Praying the Lectionary: Prayers and Reflections for Every Week’s Readings, 2006, SPCK
- Valuing Age: Mission and Ministry among Older People, 2008, SPCK
- Between Remembering and Forgetting The spiritual dimensions of dementia, 2010, Continuum
- Journey with Mark (with Paula Gooder and Mark Pryce), 2011, SPCK
- Journey With Luke (with Paula Gooder and Mark Pryce), 2012, SPCK
- Journeying with Matthew (with Paula Gooder and Mark Pryce), 2013, SPCK
- Journey with John (with Paula Gooder and Mark Pryce), 2014, SPCK
- Putting Theology to Work: How to Think and Act Theologically, 2015, SPCK