What Our Students Say
Forthcoming CoursesFri 16Fri 16 April, 10:00 am to 4:00 pmTue 20Tue 20 April, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pmThu 22Thu 22 April, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Coordinator, Centre for Formation in Ministry and Director of Contextual Learning Read more
Director of Academic Development, Coordinator, Centre for Encountering the Bible, Short Courses and Programme Leader for Exploring Theology Read more
Programme Leader for Postgraduate Programmes in Theology, Ministry and Mission Read more
- This event has passed.
Biblical Study Break: Digging into Isaiah 40-66
- Course Dates: Mon 4 November 2019, 1:00 pm to Thu 7 November 2019, 2:00 pm
These courses offer a sustained study of a single biblical book or biblical topic led by emerging and eminent scholars who bring fresh perspectives to the study of scripture.
For more information surrounding the Biblical Study Breaks in general, check page 38 of our Programme.
This course will offer the opportunity to read all the text of these 27 lyrical, carefully-edited chapters, which are much-quoted in the New Testament. We will look
at the famous Servant Songs, and consider the text’s use in historical sermons, poetry, music, and art. Through calm attentiveness, exploration of this text will refresh and fortify our hearts for faith and mission.
By the end of the week we will have:
- read these carefully structured 27 chapters of Isaiah;
- enjoyed some of the most inspiring chapters of the whole Bible;
- reflected on their remarkable impact on the New Testament; *reviewed our methods for interpreting prophetic literature;
- shared about how the Old Testament is read in our churches; if we attend church and if the Old Testament IS read there;
- considered the pastoral importance of the teaching of these chapters. If you know Hebrew, please bring your Hebrew bible; but knowledge of biblical languages will not be presupposed.