Forthcoming CoursesTue 15Tue 15 October, 10:00 am to 4:00 pmThu 17Thu 17 October, 10:00 am to 4:00 pmThu 17Thu 17 October, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Director of Studies, Centre for Formation in Ministry and Lecturer in Doctrine and Theology, Arts and Culture Read more
Academic Dean and Coordinator for the Centre for Liturgy and Worship Read more
Tutor in Spiritual Formation and Biblical Studies Read more
Chaplaincy and Criminal Justice
- Course Dates: Mon 14 October, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Explore the particular challenges and opportunities for chaplains developing ministries and/or serving in the police, prisons and courts.
With a specific focus on the themes of crime and punishment, we will address an overarching question: How do we develop compassionate responses to damaged and damaging people?
The day will include:
– networking and group discussion opportunities for shared resources and peer support
– an informal discussion on Fyodor Dostoevsky’s novel Crime & Punishment and its lessons for us as chaplains
– a participative interview with Martyn Cook who coordinates chaplaincy services as Swindon Law Courts
– an exploration of the cities of refuge texts in the Hebrew Bible with Jayme Reaves
– and a panel discussion/Q&A with Angus Macpherson (Wiltshire Police & Crime Commissioner); Bill Cave (chaplain to Wiltshire Police); Martyn Cook (chaplin, Swindon Law Courts); and Penny Sayer (Archdeacon of Sherborne)