What Our Students Say
Forthcoming CoursesSat 15Sat 15 May, 11:00 am to 12:00 pmTue 18Tue 18 May, 10:00 am to 1:00 pmTue 18Tue 18 May, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Director of Studies and Tutor in Rural Ministry, Centre for Formation in Ministry Read more
Programme Leader, Postgraduate Programmes in Theology, Imagination and Culture Read more
Director of Academic Development, Coordinator, Centre for Encountering the Bible, Short Courses and Programme Leader for Exploring Theology Read more
- This event has passed.
(Taught Online) Exploring Theology Term 3: Week 3: Confronting the Violence in the Bible
- Course Dates: Tue 5 May 2020, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Register for the current Exploring Theology Summer Term Here.
This term of Exploring Theology will be offered online via a mix of both pre-recorded and live discussion sessions. At this time, it is only available to register on a term-basis, at the cost of £70 for the term which includes 10 sessions, as per usual. If you wish to write an essay, please contact Jayme Reaves (email@example.com) who can arrange payment separately.
While each week will have a different tutor, Jayme will be on hand to facilitate each session.
After registration and payment, you will be sent details on how to access SarumLearn where all links to recorded and live sessions as well as readings will be available. Live sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
The course will run according to the following schedule:
1) Each lecture will be pre-recorded and uploaded by the Monday morning prior to enable those who wish to watch it at their own leisure, starting on Monday, 20 April for the first session on the evening of Tuesday, 21 April.
2) For those who wish to watch the pre-recorded lectures as a group, we will gather at 7pm each Tuesday evening for the live session. Each lecture should last no more than 45 minutes (ending at 7:50pm at the latest; the link will be available via your SarumLearn access).
3) We will take a break between 7:50pm-8:00pm. If you’d like to stay in the online room to chat with each other, you’re welcome to do so though it will be as one group rather than private conversations.
4) We will then gather again at 8:00pm for the discussion session. The format will be as follows:
— 8:00-8:15pm: Q&A with the tutor based on their pre-recorded lecture
— 8:15-9:00pm: Immersive Textual Reading & Discussion (reading the identified biblical text, applying the theme of the lecture to it, making observations). This session will be recorded live and a link to the video will be posted afterwards for those who wish to watch it again or for those who missed the session.
We will be finished by 9pm as per usual.
Confronting the Violence in the BIble
Murder, rape, genocide. In our Bibles? How do we read these narrative? Do we just have to throw out the Old Testament? In the lecture we will look at some tools that can help us as we grapple with these difficult passages, and then in the discussion session, we will dig a bit deeper, taking as our text the battle of Jericho in Joshua 6 (with some attention to Joshua 2 and Joshua 7).
5th May with Helen Paynter