What Our Students Say
Forthcoming CoursesMon 30Mon 30 November, 2:00 pm to Thu 3 December, 2:00 pmMon 30Mon 30 November, 2:00 pm to Thu 3 December, 2:00 pmTue 12Tue 12 January 2021, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Coordinator, Centre for Formation in Ministry and Director of Contextual Learning Read more
Tutor in Spiritual Formation and Biblical Studies Read more
Principal and Coordinator for the Centre for Human Flourishing Read more
- This event has passed.
(Taught Online) Exploring Theology Term 3: Week 7: Queer Interpretations: Normativity, Sexuality, and the Body
- Course Dates: Tue 2 June, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Register for the current Exploring Theology Summer Term Here.
This term of Exploring Theology will be offered online via a mix of both pre-recorded and live discussion sessions. At this time, it is only available to register on a term-basis, at the cost of £70 for the term which includes 10 sessions, as per usual. If you wish to write an essay, please contact Jayme Reaves (email@example.com) who can arrange payment separately.
While each week will have a different tutor, Jayme will be on hand to facilitate each session.
After registration and payment, you will be sent details on how to access SarumLearn where all links to recorded and live sessions as well as readings will be available. Live sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
The course will run according to the following schedule:
1) Each lecture will be pre-recorded and uploaded by the Monday morning prior to enable those who wish to watch it at their own leisure, starting on Monday, 20 April for the first session on the evening of Tuesday, 21 April.
2) For those who wish to watch the pre-recorded lectures as a group, we will gather at 7pm each Tuesday evening for the live session. Each lecture should last no more than 45 minutes (ending at 7:50pm at the latest; the link will be available via your SarumLearn access).
3) We will take a break between 7:50pm-8:00pm. If you’d like to stay in the online room to chat with each other, you’re welcome to do so though it will be as one group rather than private conversations.
4) We will then gather again at 8:00pm for the discussion session. The format will be as follows:
— 8:00-8:15pm: Q&A with the tutor based on their pre-recorded lecture
— 8:15-9:00pm: Immersive Textual Reading & Discussion (reading the identified biblical text, applying the theme of the lecture to it, making observations). This session will be recorded live and a link to the video will be posted afterwards for those who wish to watch it again or for those who missed the session.
We will be finished by 9pm as per usual.
Normativity, Sexuality, and the Body
There’s nought so queer as folk – except, perhaps, for their God. The first session of this evening will give a brief overview of Queer Theology’s roots in late twentieth-century thought, before turning to theologians who are enamoured with the thoroughly queer God revealed in the strange twists and turns of the New Testament. In the second, interactive session, people will be invited to use scripture and artwork to reflect on the queer creature that is the yeasty, omni-gendered, scandalous Body of Christ.
2nd June with Lyndon Webb