Forthcoming CoursesTue 29Tue 29 September, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pmMon 05Mon 5 October, 2:00 pm to Thu 8 October, 2:00 pmThu 08Thu 8 October, 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Scholar in Residence Read more
Coordinator, Centre for Contemporary Spirituality Read more
Tutor in Spiritual Formation and Biblical Studies Read more
- This event has passed.
Interrelations: Spirituality and Theology
- Course Dates: Mon 8 May 2017, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm
This conference is premised on the belonging together of spirituality and theology (or doctrine) in Christian life and thought.
‘Spirituality’ is a relatively recent name in Christianity for sensibilities and practices that are far older. Today, however, non-ecclesial spirituality is frequently lauded, just as the cultural brilliance of theology can seem dulled.
This conference will explore the historical and present-day dilemmas of distinguishing and interrelating Christian spirituality and theology.
Conference Programme Outline
The conference begins with registration from 9.30am for a 10am start. The morning will contain three plenary sessions, with papers from:
- Dr Edward Howells (Heythrop College)
- Dr Jacob Philips (St Mary’s University, Twickenham)
- Dr Barnabas Palfrey (Sarum College)
After lunch, eight short papers will run on two parallel tracks, with ample space for questions and discussion. Paper topics include:
- Forged Together in the Furnace of War: the career and contemporaries of Geoffrey Studdart Kennedy (‘Woodbine Willie’)
- The concept of ‘home’ and ‘homecoming’ in Christian spirituality
- St Francis as an extensive or limited model for contemporary Christian spirituality
- August Courtauld: the Arctic Lazarus and the deathly fear of silence
- Poetry and spirituality
- Relating the praxis of Christian contemplation and Christian theology
- Leonard Cohen: Worker-in-song in and between spiritual traditions
The call for short papers (now closed) can be viewed here.