What Our Students Say
Forthcoming CoursesThu 22Thu 22 April, 10:00 am to 4:00 pmFri 23Fri 23 April, 10:00 am to 1:00 pmTue 27Tue 27 April, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Meet the Academic Staff
Coordinator, Centre for Contemporary Spirituality Read more
Principal and Coordinator for the Centre for Human Flourishing Read more
Programme Leader for Postgraduate Programmes in Theology, Ministry and Mission Read more
- This event has passed.
Marian Apparitions and Shrines
- Course Dates: Sat 29 February 2020, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
This one day course will cover shrines and apparitions of Mary in modern (19th and 20th century) Roman Catholicism, with a special emphasis on Europe.
The aims of the day are that you will have opportunities to:
1. Appreciate the breadth of this phenomenon, and develop knowledge about well-known and little-known cases, taking into mind social contexts.
2. Discuss the figure of Mary at the centre of the visionary claims and messages.
3. Analyse the Roman Catholic Church response to apparitions and new pilgrimages, and how this shapes the development of a cult.
4. Consider the visionary as a human subject, e.g. their creative contribution, the pressures put upon them, the ways in which they are rejected or idolized by different parties.
The course is open to people of all faiths and none, to those who already have knowledge about Marian apparition shrines, and those who do not. You do not have to agree with the views of the tutor to participate! It is recommended that, beforehand, you have a quick look at websites concerned with listing the apparitions of Mary, particularly:
http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_apparitions and http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/aprtable.html
(although very helpful and informative, they are popular devotional websites, so try to read them critically).
Those who have time might like to access Chris Mauder’s book, Our Lady of the Nations: Apparitions of Mary in 20th Century Catholic Europe (2016, paperback 2018). Contact the Sarum College Bookshop to order.
Contact Alison Ogden for all booking enquiries
email@example.com | 01722 424826 | 01722 424800 (main reception)
Please visit our booking information page for terms and conditions.