Thank you for your interest in applying for the post of part-time Kitchen Assistant.
To find out more about the post, please read the following documents:
- Part-time Kitchen Assistant Description and Person Specification (also copied/pasted below)
- Sarum College Application Form
- Confidential Declaration
You can find out more about Sarum College by reading through our website. If, after reading the application documents and learning more about the College through the website you decide that you would like to apply for the post, please send the documents listed below to Richard Amey at Sarum College by 4pm on Wednesday 7th October 2015, which is the deadline for receipt of:
- a completed application form,
- a completed confidential declaration
Our preference is for applications to be completed electronically and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, if you wish to download and print the documents, please either hand them into Reception (Sarum College is located in Salisbury’s Cathedral Close) or send them by post to the following address:
Part-time Kitchen Assistant
19 The Close
Salisbury SP1 2EE
PLEASE NOTE: Only those applicants who send completed documents (application form and confidential information form) cited above will be considered.
As a charity, we make every effort to keep our expenditures under control. If you apply and wish to have receipt of your application acknowledged by email, please note this in your message when you send your application documents. If you wish to have a confirmation by post, please enclose a stamped and addressed postcard with your application.
If by the end of Monday 12th October you have not received an invitation to attend an interview, you may assume that your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Sarum College is an ecumenical centre for Christian study and research where our passion is learning that nourishes the human spirit. We welcome people of all faiths and none, and offer space and time for enquiring minds to grow in wisdom and courage.
We strive to ensure that every person who comes through our doors, whether for a three year part-time MA, a short course, to browse the bookshop or library, to stay for bed and breakfast or as a member using the college as a conference setting, leaves the college with a sense that their spirit has been nourished.
As well as the normal basic values of respect, honesty and integrity we expect as a minimum requirement for staff, we have affirmed four core values that form the foundation of all our behaviours and attitudes.
- We welcome people of all faiths and none
- We are committed to Sarum because we love it
- We learn together and from each other
- If we can we will
The College has invested over half a million pounds on upgrading its accommodation and refectory facilities and has a business plan based on continued growth. At the heart of the college’s life is the refectory and the role of the Catering Assistant has been created both to ensure the cleanliness of the catering operation and to enhance the customer care and smooth running of the catering service.
Job Title: Kitchen Assistant
Purpose: To ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen and refectory and to deliver excellent customer care in the catering department.
The Principal accountabilities are:
- Cleaning of the kitchen, refectory and all food outlets (70%)
- Service of food and beverage (20%)
- Preparation of picnic lunches, salads and vegetable preparations (10%)
Detailed tasks include:
- Cleaning and keeping tidy the refectory, kitchen and all food outlets within the College
- Ensure that all areas are spotlessly clean at all times and operate appropriate cleaning schedules as have been set in place, ensuring that they are completed, checked and archived
- Maintaining the kitchen cleaning schedule
- Keeping storerooms clean and tidy at all times
- Ensuring that all hygiene and health and safety standards are met at all times
- Setting up the refectory for food service
- Laying out food (currently buffet style) ready for service
- Assisting with picnic lunches, salads and vegetable preparations
- Setting up and serving coffees and teas for College guests
- Working with the kitchen to provide excellent service to our guests
- Promoting exceptional standards of customer service, ensuring that all services, whether refectory or other hospitality areas operate in a friendly, smooth and efficient manner at all times
- Interact with customers at every service period ensuring that the service is running smoothly and that customers are happy with the service they are receiving
- Operate a set of pre-service check-lists that ensures all areas, whether within the main refectory or at a function, are fully sourced and ready for the service to commence
- To comply with all legislative requirements including health and safety, fire and hygiene under the direction of the Catering Manager
- To attend as required internal and external meetings and training courses
- To be responsible for all aspects of health and safety in the absence of the Catering Manager and Head Chef, within the policies and procedures of the College
Hours: The normal working hours will be 11am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. The College guarantees 15 shifts a month, but additional shifts may be available during busy months and in the evening.
Remuneration: The salary for 15 shifts of 5 hours per months is £6,570. The rate for additional hours is £7.30.
The annual leave entitlement is 5 weeks plus statutory holidays; this includes the days when the College may be closed over the Christmas period.
Sarum also operates a non-contributory defined contributions pension scheme to which Sarum currently contributes 8% for the contracted hours.
Line Manager: The line manager is the Catering Manager, but the post holder will also report to the senior chef on duty.
- Ability to set own priorities and work without close supervision
- Ability that demonstrates experience of maintaining high levels of hygiene standards in a catering environment
- Ability to work flexibly with other kitchen staff to ensure full cover for all catering including breakfasts, lunches, suppers, teas, coffees and additional functions
- Experience that demonstrates an understanding of the importance of a high level of customer service and improving customer service standards
- Experience that demonstrates that you are comfortable working with both the public and colleagues
- Experience of delivering a high level of service to the public whilst working under pressure
- Ability to take responsibility and be proactive
- Ability to identify and solve problems on own initiative
- Able to cope with change, to be flexible and to handle uncertainty in a calm and professional manner
- Sympathy with Sarum’s ethos
- Knowledge and experience of working with Microsoft Outlook and Access
- Ability to be numerate and literate in the delivery of routine administration