About the Inspiration and Imagination: Creative Expressions of the Spiritual Life (2024) course
This course that explores the relationship between Christian theology, spirituality and art.
The four-day module is ideal for anyone wishing to deepen their understanding of the place of art, imagination and creativity in the Christian tradition from historical, cultural, and theological perspectives.
Participants will be encouraged to develop their own aesthetic and spiritual awareness alongside the possibilities for developing their own creative practice. This module will also enable students to critically engage with the place of art in Christian worship and the life of the Church.
The 2022 course featured the following:
- a guided tour of Salisbury Cathedral with the Revd Anna Macham, Canon Precentor, to look a how the building is used in the liturgy currently and historically;
- sessions on mysticism and art;
- sessions on heavy metal music, theology and spiritual practice (with Dr Charlotte Naylor Davis)
- screening of Complete Surrender, a documentary by Dr Louise Nelstrop;
- seminar on Art and Faith: A Theology of Making by Makoto Fujimura;
- sessions on six women artists from four centuries of Western art;
- sessions on heaven and hell as imagined by Dante and James Joyce.
This is a postgraduate course open to ‘auditors’ e.g. those attending the course who are not enrolled for academic credit.
Joining this course is an opportunity to have a study break in the beautiful Salisbury Cathedral Close, where residential participants enjoy full board, access to the library and to the pattern of liturgy at Salisbury Cathedral.
Whether it’s cultural events, sightseeing (Stonehenge is nearby for example) or shopping — there’s plenty to do if you’d like to extend your stay the weekend before and after the course. For ideas, visit Salisbury Cathedral Close attraction websites to see what’s on Sarum’s doorstep. Visit the Wiltshire Creative website to view events at nearby Salisbury Playhouse and the Salisbury Arts Centre. The Experience Salisbury website has an excellent city-wide listing of forthcoming events around the city.
Enrolled students also may attend teaching weeks for modules in addition to the modules which they are studying for credit, by permission of the Programme Leader. The audit fee and hospitality prices are reviewed annually with any changes effective from 1 July.
Need financial assistance? View our list of grantmaking trusts