On Sunday 7 May 2017 at 5pm, David Tracy – perhaps the preeminent US theologian of his generation – will deliver a public lecture at Sarum College, Salisbury, entitled The Journey Within: Plotinus, Gregory of Nyssa and Augustine.1
The next day at Sarum, Professor Tracy will also participate in the conference Interrelations: Spirituality and Theology at Sarum College – in an area of very evident increasing interest within his work.
The morning of the Monday 8th conference will host plenary sessions from 9:30am, with papers by Prof. Peter Tyler (St Mary’s University, Twickenham) and Dr. Edward Howells (Heythrop College). A third session of the morning will then draw Professor Tracy into extended discussion on the conference theme.
The conference afternoon will then include up to nine 40-minute short papers, running in parallel sessions, prior to a concluding reception. Proposals are therefore requested for max. 25min. (c. 3,000 word) short papers on subjects relevant to the conference theme (allowing 15 minutes for discussion).
For example, papers might touch upon (N.B. this list is not intended as exhaustive):
- the distinction and relation of Christian spirituality and theology
- historical examples of configuring what we know today as ‘theology’ and ‘spirituality’
- individuals or movements integrating spirituality and theology in interesting or exemplary ways
- political, artistic or pastoral engagements as integrating foci for Christian spirituality and theology
- the doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- the role of ‘experience’ in Christian theology and/or spirituality
- intellect and/or emotion in spirituality and/or theology
- apophatic, visionary and/or apocalyptic discourse within theology and spirituality
- the impacts of modernity and/or the 16th Century reformation(s) on Christian theology, spirituality and their interrelation
Please submit your proposal (max. 400 words) to Dr. Barnabas Palfrey at Sarum College (email@example.com) by Friday 24 February 2017. You will learn whether or not your proposal has been accepted by Sunday 5th March.
More information about Professor David Tracy, his public lecture at Sarum on 7th May, and the May 8th conference ‘Interrelations: spirituality and theology’, can all be found via the conference website.
Conference booking, hospitality and payment enquiries should be directed to Alison Ogden (firstname.lastname@example.org); academic conference enquiries should be directed to Barnabas Palfrey (email@example.com).
1 A few days earlier, on 3rd May 2017, Professor Tracy will have also be delivering a lecture in association with St Benet’s Hall, Oxford, on the relationship between Descartes and Fénelon and Pascal.
Leave a Reply