Sarum College is a community of learning that nourishes the human spirit. People of all faiths and none come for courses, events, private stays, conferences and meetings.
The College offers a wide range of learning programmes for personal and professional development as well as for ordination and licensed lay ministry.
What we need
The ideal candidate will have a broad grasp of organisational IT systems and requirements, as well as an excellent computerside manner to support colleagues, students and external clients.
Job Title: IT Officer
Reporting to: Director of Marketing & Communications
Job Purpose: To manage the IT and digital systems and offer IT support to staff, students and customers as needed.
- Provide first-line IT support and training to college staff to enhance IT confidence, including the use of Sharepoint and software systems for hospitality, course and learning resources administration;
- Support colleagues and external clients with IT set up for meetings and conferences;
- Manage the IT hardware and serve as administrator for software systems. Maintain and support the development of the college’s bespoke online course administration system, providing technical support to staff as needed;
- Plan and oversee the College server upgrade with colleagues;
- Leadership and technical expertise in applying IT innovations to develop the College’s teaching and learning in line with the College’s strategic plan;
- Digital marketing support and development via websites, social media and MailChimp;
- VLE oversight and development, providing technical support to students as needed;
- Maintain and support the use of audio/visual equipment;
- Networking functionality and security;
- Telephony installation and support;
- Maintain the asset register system for IT equipment.
- First-line IT support to college staff by email, telephone and in person, troubleshooting issues and problems in a calm and timely manner, escalating them to our external IT server provider when necessary;
- In collaboration with our external providers, maintain the IT infrastructure of the college including servers, Wi-Fi hubs, network switches, firewalls, printers and photocopiers;
- Oversee and provide technical support for the College’s VOIP telephone systems;
- IT support for digital marketing;
- Ensure all hardware (PCs, laptops and thin clients), software (Microsoft 365, Adobe, WordPress, Zoom, Sage, Moodle and Heritage [library] systems) and services (email) are working optimally with the latest updates and patches installed. Oversee and maintain network security;
- Maintain the audio/visual equipment to ensure it is working correctly and provide support when required. Manage the inventory and replacement cycle of IT equipment;
- Maintain and develop the self-hosted virtual learning environment, providing support to students and college staff when required;
- Working with our external IT systems colleagues to ensure that the website is operating optimally, updating, developing and maintaining the site as required;
- Ensure college data is securely backed up daily;
- Working with other members of staff, ensure sensitive data is stored in compliance with GDPR and the PDQ machines and associated network equipment are PCI compliant;
- Offer technical support for other office and educational equipment (including the photocopiers) as needed.
- Experience in managing, maintaining and troubleshooting IT systems;
- Proficiency with WordPress, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Servers, Office 365 and Office applications including Word, Outlook and Excel;
- Good understanding of computer networks and IT hardware to be able to troubleshoot issues;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Drive to help colleagues to solve problems and work more efficiently;
- Flexible approach to work planning;
- Able to work accurately and complete tasks within a given timeframe;
- Able to collaborate effectively with other members of staff;
- Proficient record-keeping;
- Sympathy with the ethos of Sarum College.
- Experience in working in an educational setting;
- An understanding of SQL systems.
- Relevant IT qualifications
£23-27k for the full-time role, salary depending on experience, plus a pension contribution of 8% of salary to the nominated pension scheme, currently the Church of England Church Workers Pension Fund (Pension Builder Classic). Lunch in the Refectory on working days without charge when available.
Hours per week
Please note this role is unsuited to remote working. Hours of Work: 35 hours a week. Normal hours of work are Monday to Friday, 9am til 5 pm with a daily unpaid lunch break of one hour. Work will be required outside these hours in particular to do out of hours system updates and there will be some on-call work in which case time off in lieu will be given.
Annual leave entitlement is 25 days plus statutory holidays; this includes days when the College may be closed over Christmas. Holidays are to be taken with due regard to the needs of the College.
IT hardware overview
The College currently operates Windows 10 PCs and Windows 10 laptops. There is one physical server running an additional five virtual servers. These virtual servers host the College’s terminal server, library catalogue, library catalogue web server and VLE web server. The College has two websites hosted off-site and its property managements system with live availability for online B&B booking.
The College has three large mobile television displays for presentations and streaming. There is a fixed digital projector in the main meeting room along with a sound system with wireless microphones. There are additional portable projectors.
The College has an active Microsoft Office 365 subscription with Office 2016. In addition, the College runs Sage accounts and payroll. There is also an active subscription to Zoom for video conferencing and teaching.
The College has a VOIP telephone systems with two handsets and 20 softphone clients. There is a fast leased line internet connection to the building with Wi-Fi points throughout to ensure a good connection from all the meeting rooms, offices and bedrooms.
The management and maintenance of the IT infrastructure, telephone system, two photocopiers are in partnership with external companies.